Comic-on-Comic: Matt O’Meara on Comedian Shalewa Sharpe
atlanta stands up:
Photo Credit : Avidity Photography
Who knows a comic, and his/her stand-up, better than the other comics that they spend night after countless night getting on stage with?
For this week’s Comic-On-Comic we asked Atlanta comedian Matt O’Meara a few questions about the comedy that his peer and friend Shalewa Sharpebrings to the comedy scene here in Atlanta.
How would you describe Shalewa’s comedic style?
- I would say Shalewa’s comedic style is funny? It’s what most go for, she does it pretty well.
Do you think her personality reflects her stage persona?
- Yeah I guess. She’s not fake on stage if that’s what we’re saying.
Which of Shalewa’s jokes is your favorite; gets a laugh from you, no matter how many times you hear it?
- New favorite is the role playing one with a dude that had a diaper fetish. I’ll let you know later if I’m still laughing at it.
In the past year, how have you seen Shalewa grow as a comic?
- Shalewa has gotten a lot more comfortable on stage and it shows a lot in her pauses. She sits on them longer and makes the jokes “pop” more.
What do you personally admire about Shalewa as a comic?
- She’s black. I think that’s pretty cool. Also I like that she is super laid back and you never hear a bad thing about her from anyone around the scene.
Now that you have a comic insider’s perspective, take a look at this video of Shalewa Sharpe performing a set at the world famous Laughing Skull Lounge.
A little late but Rooftop Comedy’s Comic of the Day (4.20.11) comes from Mr. Rory Scovel.
Directed by: Matt Swinsky
This needs to be up for some sort of comedy award thing for videos that are insanely hilarious. Theres nothing more to say.
VOTE FOR COMEDIAN JAMIE WARD….
"But is he funny?" You ask.
Like Doy. Just watch the video. Then vote for GA TECH’s Jamie Ward.
The Select 16 have been paired up with new rivals and will now be fighting for a spot in the Ultimate 8. Vote online from April 14-18th to help your team make it through.
April 11th, 2011